Red River College has obtained access to National Research Council Code documents, including the National Building Code of Canada, National Fire Code of Canada, National Plumbing Code of Canada.
Note: The vendor has restricted the files to on campus usage only. With Library patrons current restricted from being on Campus, you will have to create your own account at the NRC Virtual Store and download the free versions of the guides they have made available. (23 March 2020)
Access to Free Guides via the NRC Virtual Store
- Go to NRC Virtual store https://nrc.canada.ca/en/research-development/products-services/shop-nrc
- In the left navigation bar, select "Construction Publications"
- Look for the "FREE" versions of the guides you want. Add them to your shopping cart.
- When you check out you will be asked to create an account. You should not have to enter a credit card as your order is free.
- Once your order is processed you will receive an email with a document telling you how to access your free documents.
ccessing the guides on Campus
These documents are available to RRC Students and Staff through our proxy server. When the guide is opened you have to be on campus.
Step 1: Important! Special Plugins Required
Prior to trying to open the NRC documents you need to install the following two plugins on your workstation:
Adobe Acrobat Reader: http://get.adobe.com/reader/
Most college workstations have this plugin already installed. However, PDF files cannot normally be opened via the in-browser version of Adobe Reader. You need to download the PDF file and then open it directly into Adobe reader. (See troubleshooting tips below.)
Adobe File Open Plugin: http://plugin.fileopen.com/Default.aspx?bhcp=1
If you are on a college lab computer, college laptop, or personal/home computer, you should be able to install this plugin. If you are a RRC Staff member you may have to place a caselog request to install this plugin.
We apologize for the requirement to have both these plugins installed prior to viewing the files. It is a requirement of the publisher!
Step 2: View the NRC Documents
Once you have the plugins correctly installed click this link to go to the documents:
Login is required through the RRC proxy server. Please use your regular college username and password.
You should download the PDF files to your workstation and then view in Adobe Acrobat. You may see an error if you try to view the file in the browser-based Adobe Reader. Please refer to troubleshooting tips below if you have difficulty.
The documents are large and patience may be required.
- If your workstation is defaulted to load PDF documents in a browser window, you may see the error "Failed to load PDF document".
- Go to your "Downloads" folder.
- Right-click on the downloaded PDF file.
- Select Open with ADOBE ACROBAT.